Tamoxifen Oral Warnings

Tamoxifen has rarely caused very serious (possibly fatal) strokes, blood clots in the lungs/legs, and cancer of the uterus. If you are taking tamoxifen to reduce the risk of breast cancer, or if your cancer is limited to the milk ducts (ductal carcinoma in situ-DCIS), then discuss the benefits and risks of taking this medication with your doctor. However, if you are taking tamoxifen to treat breast cancer, then the benefits of taking tamoxifen are greater than the risks of side effects (click tamoxifen image or here to read more).

Seek immediate medical attention if you develop symptoms of a stroke or blood clots in the lungs/legs, such as weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, sudden vision changes, confusion, shortness of breath, chest pain, or calf pain/swelling.

Tell your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms of cancer of the uterus, such as unusual changes in your monthly period (e.g., amount or timing of bleeding), unusual vaginal discharge, or pain/pressure below your "belly button".

Who should not take this medication?

Check with your physician if you have any of the following conditions:
Cataracts, Problems with Eyesight, Blood Clot in Lung, Stroke, Obstruction of a Blood Vessel by a Blood Clot, Blood Clot in a Deep Vein, Pregnancy, A Mother who is Producing Milk and Breastfeeding, High Amount of Calcium in the Blood, Severely Decreased Platelets, Decreased White Blood Cells.

Sources: Navel - Web MD



3 comments :

  1. When I get hot I feel like a hundred bees are sting me. Had hot flashes and up the effexor xr to 75mg and much better. I have stop taking it for the last three weeks and I feel alot better, mind has cleared up but i still have the stinging. Doctor doesn't know what is causing this think maybe reaction to one of the drugs that I take (herceptin, tamoxifen and effexor xr75mg. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the complaints that are listed here I already have as a part of perimenopause - hot flashes, brian fog, leg crampss, irregular or heavy bleeding. So I guess I won't be able to tell the difference when I go on Tam. My Doc recommended Remefemin, Black Cohosh, Soy, Vitamin E, Multi + B Complex vitamins and if needed my Effexor increased, since I am already on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still on the fence regarding Tamoxifen. I have done a mastectomy, chemo and radiation and finishing up with Herceptin so why add more meds with possible side effects? Haven't I done enough already?

    ReplyDelete

Farmacy/Medical Drug